If Dorian Gray met Edward Cullen...

...I believe they might get pretty nasty indeed.

And although I strongly believe Anne Rice flinches at the mere thought of sparkling vampires out at daytime, she might actually enjoy the thought of otherwise beautiful, alluring Edward slowly seducing even more beautiful, more alluring and definitely most voluptuous Dorian.

Don't get me wrong: it's not only about their combined unbearable beauty!
And MOST IMPORTANT: I'm talking about the book characters only. Forget about the actors (though Ben Barnes' eyes keep smoldering straight through every layer of resistance I might wear).

Edward acts and seems reasonably oldfashioned and painfully uptight at times, so I figure he is about the right person Dorian might be heading for; a challenge perhaps...I'm thinking about early, pre-murder Dorian who seeks challenges but is still too innocent and shy to simply take what he wants.
Edward is different here. He is the predator and I imagine him tearing poor Dorian almost apart to change him; Edward wouldn't dare touch Dorian at all as long he is human. But clever Dorian lures Edward into toothy action and Edward becomes the raw animal he truly is.

Now we have the perfect vampire couple (I as the author of these lines try to ignore the sparkles instead of burning to ashes in the sun). Let's do this in perfect Anne Rice style (I do adore her and her Vampire Chronicles!):
At night, Dorian and Edward hunt, talk, love together. They are seductive, civilized, and gorgeous. They are, however, NOT explicit, or dirty. They don't offend. Nobody can be aware of how very sexy and dangerous they are - until it is too late.

With all the malice and vices already set deep within Dorian before (thanks to Henry), he might impress even Lestat who'll probably go straight for him and snatch him out of Edward's (assumably tight) grasp. Edward, in turn, finds comfort in Armand's company until his bleeding soul is fully recovered.

...doesn't that sound nice enough? Even for all those Twilight haters out there?

Let's finish this mindgame with two typical lines - one spoken by Edward, one by Dorian:

"I'm the world's best predator, aren't I? Everything about me invites you in - my voice, my face, even my smell. As if I need any of that!"
- Edward.

But even better, it always gives me the shivers:
"So you think that it is only God who sees the soul, Basil? Draw that curtain back, and you will see mine."
- Dorian.

1 comment:

  1. well I found this entry when reading my ENG201's Gothic Fiction's blog http://gothicfictions.blogspot.com/ where my teacher linked this entry. We are reading "Twilight" throughout the semester and our current book outside of that is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" - - - Well, I love your entry! Oh lord! That would be some stream and drama and lots of blood and intrigue! Wow!

    ReplyDelete